Let me share a great interest of mine with you: Spirits. The liquid kind. To be drunk with pleasure. Especially Single Malt Whisky tickles my fancy.

30 May, 2005

The Experimentation Commences

Today, I went to the supermarket and bought two rather neutrally flavoured bottles of Danish Akvavit. The first was a "Brøndum Klar" and the other a "Svendborg Klar". After a nosing and tasting of the two I felt quite pleased, because they both seemed suitable for making a nice dram, despite the fact that they are distinctively different.

The former "Brøndum Klar" is the least discrete of the two. Though it is light, it still tastes and smells of caraway. It will go well for making traditional Danish schnapps with herbs that are relatively more pungent and powerfull in flavour than most other herbs.

The latter "Svendborg Klar" is milder, rounder and sweeter. You can sense the original base ingredient through the drink. I believe it is based on potatoes, corn , wheet or a mix of those. It is quite light, so it will not overpower even fruit and light herbal flavours. I am going to use this for my experiment: Banana Basil Aqua Vitae.

Off to "The Lab"!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home