Let me share a great interest of mine with you: Spirits. The liquid kind. To be drunk with pleasure. Especially Single Malt Whisky tickles my fancy.

20 June, 2005

Turkish Eliksir

I've been in Turkey since the 16th, and here I have enjoyed the Raki. It is served in the same way here as its counterparts from Greece (Ouzo) and France (Pastis) are. It is simply the drink, water and ice. Very refreshing and tasty, if you fancy the liquorice-like flavour and the milky colour.

Here (and in Greece) they enjoy it with their evening meal, it is especially good with "Meze" and fish, whereas in France they drink it more as an apperitif but also "au terrain de boules" while playing "Petanque".

Alcohol is quite expensive here in Istanbul. The explanation is that Turkey is a muslim country, and since Islam does not approve of the consumption of alcohol it is highly taxed.

Apart from Raki I have had the Turkish lager called "Efes". Apparently it should be able to produce som serious hang-overs, but fortunately I am still without that experience. It is an OK beer and a fair drink that has a well pronounced maltiness going for it.

I have also read that Anatolia is good wine country, but unfortunately I haven't tried any of it yet. I might still make it though, since I'll be here for another two days, before I continue my travel and go to Beirut in Libanon.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, call Struer immediately

24 June, 2005 10:12

 

Post a Comment

<< Home